In Conversation with Hats & That
Another 20/20 questions from Nikki from Hats and That who makes amazing knitted hats and other handmade goodies.
I would have loved to meet up with Nikki to see where she finds inspiration and enjoy an alcoholic beverage but at present times this was not possible....enjoy her read.
1. Who are you, and what type of business do you run?
Nikki (aka Nicole) I hand make crocheted and knitted hats & accessories
2. What is the name of your business and how did you come up with it?
I was making lots hats and accessories therefore it had to be hats & that
3. Why did you start your business? I have always had a love for wool and creating things. I found crocheting very calming and I really enjoyed making and designing my own hats and wanted to be able to make them with sustainable eco friendly wool. I was making so many different ones and they were proving to be very popular amongst friends and family and through word of mouth people were asking me if I could make them so I thought well let’s give this a go.
4. How old is your business ? January 2019
5. If you had to pick 3 words to describe your business what would they be ?
Fun, cosy and unique
6. Are you formally trained or self trained ?
Does my grandmother teaching me count as formally trained? Also a lot of self training
7. What was the first piece you made and how long did it take?
Beanie hat with PomPom and once I had made the pattern about two and half hours
8. Where did you sell your first piece?
In a public house. I took one along to show a friend to see what they thought and someone at the bar bought it off me.
9. Do you have an online shop, and if so do you prefer selling online or in person?
I take orders and sell through Instagram and at local organised fairs and events
10. What’s your favourite thing to make? Gotta be the beanie hats
11. Is there anything new you are adding or doing this year ? Handmade Velvet wash bags and purses
12. How do you keep your creative skills fresh? I’m always looking for fresh new ideas and like to keep up to date with the latest trends on social media, magazines and craft events.
13. How do you work? Do you have a dedicated workspace? I have a lovely little log cabin at home in my back garden which is where I keep my stock of wool, equipment and sewing machines
14. Where do you find inspiration? Everywhere! The great outdoors, social media, magazines and of course other artisans
15. What’s been your favourite customer feedback?
A customer getting in contact to buy one of my hats after they had asked a complete stranger where they bought their hat from.
16. What are you most proud of that you’ve made ? Got to be my highland Peruvian wool beanies with matching pom-poms. I really do love them
17. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given by someone? Making sure you know everything about how your materials are made and sourced and marketing your product correctly.
18. What’s the one piece of advice you would give someone starting up?
19. Where can customers find you this year ?
Instagram, Facebook. Curated By Dapper & Suave. Dorking Artisan Market
20. What is it you like about Curated By ? It’s very well organised and professional with an abundant range of extremely talented Artisans
Thanks for reading!